Here is a quick and healthy meal that you can make tonight!
I’ve been hearing about quinoa for a while now, but I never gave it a try until now. (And I STILL don’t know how to pronounce it!) It wasn’t until I found out that your BODY DOESN’T PROCESS IT AS A CARB, but as an amino acid. This excited me for 2 reasons: 1) I eat way too many carbs as it is, and 2) our bodies cannot produce essential amino acids. We MUST get it from the foods we eat.
Tasty AND healthy? Yes please!
What you’ll need:
- 2 pans (smaller one for quinoa, bigger one for chicken)
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 1 14 oz can of Italian style diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 green pepper, sliced (optional)
- Your favorite spices! I use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. (I am sorry I don’t have a measurement for you. I “eyeball it.” You can blame my mom for this.)
- 4 Boneless chicken breasts
1) Coat the chicken pan with oil. Add chicken breasts and seasonings. Put the stove on medium, and let that cook while you prepare the quinoa.
2) Put the quinoa, chicken broth, and seasonings in a pan. Bring it to a boil, then simmer it for about 12-14 minutes.
3) Check your chicken! Turn it over so it browns nicely on both sides, and add the can of tomatoes. (and peppers if you wish.)
4) Quinoa is done when you can see little spiral-threads around the grains.
5) Chicken is done when it’s no longer pink and juices run clear.
SERVE AND ENJOY!!